Wednesday, February 9, 2011

on me being sick.... and who really needs a big toe anyway?

Man, I hate being sick. not that I know anyone who LIKES being sick, but really... I HATE being sick. especially when it involves not being able to breathe out of my nose. Evidently I was breathing out of my mouth right before I woke up (at 1:30 a.m.) because my throat was dry and kinda sore and there was drool all over my pillow, sheet, and side of my face. Yuck! And could I blow out any of the offending mucus/junk? No, of course not. But evidently chewing loosens it up, so I grab a small snack and some tea (ahhhh, gotta LOVE tea) from the kitchen and have since cleared the pipes (as far as they can be cleared with a sinus infection).

And to make matters worse... I was working in my sleep. dreamed I was teaching science to my class. For some reason we were having class in my parents' kitchen/living room, and we were observing wheat. Wheat? Really? And Mr. G walks in and gets ALL excited at what the kids are doing. meanwhile, I have discovered that I forgot to get a bag of wheat (like a bag of rice) from the science supply room. So Mr. G steps outside for a minute, and I dash downstairs to my parents' basement, which is the science supply room in my dream, and find that there aren't any bags of wheat. I come running back upstairs and look in mom's "wheat tupperware container" (only exists in my dream) only to find she is out as well. Mr. G comes back in at that point, and I jokingly say that I'd be in real trouble if this were an observation, explaining what the problem is, and he laughs and agrees with me and explains that he had to reorganize the science supply room and the wheat got buried under the rice. Meanwhile, my students are looking at grains of wheat, apparently in complete fascination. How weird.

And on to the toe... a much more serious topic. Well, the doc has decided that Jay's toe must go. In looking at the MRI from yesterday, he found that the bone between the two joints in his big toe is infected. This is so frustrating after we have spent the last two months fighting infection in the wound, conquering the infection in the wound, and then making sooooo much progress on healing the wound only to be told that infection settled in the bone and now the toe has to be amputated. *sigh* Very discouraging. I asked jay how he felt about it after he told me. He really didn't say anything. Guess it hasn't really sunk in yet. Although he did kind of get upset when I told deloris about it. And said that he didn't want everyone at school knowing about his toe. Well, that's gonna be a tough one as many people already know about the toe. And how am I going to ask off for the surgery next week without telling my boss about the toe and my team about the toe. Whatever. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Deloris thinks he's embarrassed and probably a little guilty about the toe. She's probably right. Definitely the embarrassed part, because it is completely his fault that this has happened. I had REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hoped that this would not turn into this hard of lesson to learn, but it has. *sigh* I really hate this for him. It doesn't personally bother me that he's losing his toe, but I know how he is, and I hate this for him.

Maybe I should try going back to sleep now. 5:50a.m. is only a few hours away, and I've already had two nights of less-than-enough sleep.

No comments: