Saturday, June 2, 2012

when I'm upset...

I'm a private kind of person.
I'm an introvert.
I'm a thinking kind of person.

When I'm upset...
I don't want to talk about it.
I don't want to be asked questions.
I don't want advice.
I don't want to be told I'm better off than so and so because "x" happened to them.
I don't want to be compared to someone else going through something similar.
I don't want to be told how your situation is as bad or worse than mine.
I don't want to be told it could be worse.
I don't want to be told it will get better. 
I don't want to be reassured about anything.
I don't want to be told I'm over-reacting.
I don't want to be asked if I'm okay, because obviously I'm not okay or one wouldn't have to ask.
I don't want to be told ways I could "fix" the problem.
I don't want to be told the "positives" of the situation.
I don't want to be bothered.

When I'm upset...
I want to be left alone until I'm ready to talk about it.
I want to be listened to without anyone saying anything.
I want to be left in peace and quiet, so I can think.
I want to be allowed to curl up in bed and cry, if I feel like it, or just sleep, if I feel like it.
I want to be able to cry without having to do it in the shower where I won't be heard.
I want to have time to think and work it out for myself.


And I know people do the things I don't want, because they care.  They aren't like me, so they do what works best for them.  But on the flip side of that, when I tell you I need to be alone, or I tell you I don't want to talk about it, dammit, stop doing what I don't want.  You're adding to the frustration when you don't listen to me.

I love my hubby and my friends.
I'm glad they care about me.
But let me do things my way.
I so rarely get to have my way these days.

No comments: